In the age of smartphones, it is often more convenient to send PDFs and Word documents from an iPhone than from a computer. While most people think they can only share PDFs across the internet via email, it isn't the only way. You can, in fact, text someone PDFs using your iPhone.
However, you might face a situation where you won't be able to send a file via text on your iPhone. In this case, you might be wondering why. Well, in this article, we will answer this question, as well as let you know different ways to create, edit, and send PDFs through text on your iPhone.
Índice de Contenidos
- 1 Can I Send A PDF Via Text On An iPhone?
- 2 Why Can't I Send A PDF Via Text On iPhone?
- 3 How To Create A PDF On An iPhone
- 4 How To Edit A PDF On An iPhone
Can I Send A PDF Via Text On An iPhone?
Since you are reading this article, you might have found yourself wondering: Can I send PDFs via text on my iPhone? Well, we are happy to let you know that you can! In fact, this PDF file-sharing feature is available on all smartphones, including the iPhone series.
Moreover, there are different ways to send a file through text on iPhones. These are as follows:
1. Send A PDF File Via MMS
In case you already don't know, MMS stands for Multimedia Messaging Service, which allows you to send PDFs, videos, and images via text messages. However, you will first need to enable MMS on your iPhone.
The steps to enable MMS messaging are:
- Go to your phone's "Settings" and then click on the "Messages" button.
- Find "MMS" and turn "ON" the toggle switch.
Once you have enabled MMS messaging, you are ready to begin:
- Open the file you want to send and hit the Share button.
- Choose "Message" from the list of options available.
- That's it! Your file will be sent as an attachment via text message.
2. Convert The PDF To Plain Text
If the first method doesn't work for you, don't worry; there's an alternative you can use: convert the file to plain text. This clever move will allow you to send the contents of the PDF as a text message. You can easily do this; all you need is an online service or a third-party app.
After converting your file to plain text, follow the simple steps to send it via text:
- Open the text message app on your iPhone.
- Start a new message.
- Paste the converted text from the PDF into the message.
- Finally, tap the Send button to share it.
Another method is using the share extension to send a file via text message on your iOS device. It's simple:
- Open the file you want to send and click on the "Share" option.
- Select "Message" from the list, and your iPhone will create a new text message with that PDF attached. This method is somewhat similar to the first one.
The best way to send a PDF through text on an iPhone depends on your specific needs. If you need to send the file to multiple people, the best option is to use MMS.
However, if you only need to send the file to one person and you don't want to attach it as an attachment, you can convert it to plain text.
Why Can't I Send A PDF Via Text On iPhone?
Are you facing difficulties sending PDFs via text from your iPhone? No worries, we will break it down for you. First thing first, if you are trying to send it to someone who doesn't own an iPhone, your iMessage won't work. So, you have to send it as an MMS.
MMS is usually turned off by default, so you have to turn it ON to enable MMS messaging. Yes, you read it right; you need to make sure the "Send as SMS" option is turned on in your iPhone's settings to send PDFs via MMS. That's because you can't send a file via normal text; it has to be a multimedia message.
However, just enabling the MMS messaging option on your iPhone won't be enough for you to send PDFs via text. In fact, if the receiver's phone doesn't support MMS messaging, they won't receive the file you are sending. So, make sure your receiver's phone supports MMS before sending them PDFs via text.
Additionally, even if their phones do support MMS messaging, if their MMS messaging isn't enabled, they won't receive your PDF attachment. Thus, we actually suggest you ask them to allow the MMS messaging option on their phones first.
But wait, that's not it! There may be another reason why you can't send a PDF via text on your iPhone. If your file is too big, you won't be able to send it via MMS. That's because a normal text message can hold up to 160 characters only. In such a case, consider compressing it with a PDF compressor.
Remember, if you use iMessage, your file travels as an iMessage. If you don't, it becomes a text message (SMS) if it's not too big. But if their phone doesn't support MMS, they won't receive your PDF.
Read More: The 6 Best PDF Editors For Mac
How To Create A PDF On An iPhone
If you want to create a PDF on your iPhone, we have a piece of good news. You can now create PDFs from an iPhone, even without having to install any third-party extra apps on your device. Moreover, PDFs are super handy since they look the same no matter what device or platform you view them on.
So, if you are not sure how to create PDFs on an iPhone or any iOS device, for that matter, follow this guide. The steps are as follows:
- Open the content you want to convert to PDF. It can be anything: an image, a note, a web page, or even an email.
- Click on the "Share" button, which is usually represented by an upward-pointing arrow.
- In the share menu, scroll down and click on the "Print" option.
- The Print Preview menu will appear on your screen. You will see the "Options" button there; click on it.
- After that, click on the "PDF" option from the list of options available in the "Print As" drop-down menu.
- Finally, click on the "Save" button. The newly created PDF file will be saved in your Files app.
Also, there are a few more methods available to create a PDF on an iPhone. These are as follows:
1. Using The Notes App
- Open the Notes app on your iPhone and create a new note.
- Type or draw whatever you want to include in your PDF.
- Once you are done, tap the "Share" button and select "Print".
Follow the steps above to save the PDF to your Files app!
2. Using The Pages App
The Pages app is a Word-processing app that you can use to create PDFs:
- Open the app and create a new document.
- Type or import text, images, and other content into your document.
- Once you are done, click on the "Share" button and select "Print".
- Again, follow the steps above to save the file to your iPhone.
3. Using A Third-party App
There are many third-party apps available on the Apple App Store that you can use to create PDFs. Some popular options include PDF Expert, iAnnotate, and GoodReader. These apps offer a variety of features that also allow you to edit, annotate, and protect your PDFs.
How To Edit A PDF On An iPhone
Although you can edit your PDFs using the Note app, it's not powerful enough to do advanced editing. So, it's important to have a tool that comes with advanced features. One such tool is "Edit PDF" by FormatPDF. You don't have to install anything on your iPhone.
All you require is a web browser and a robust internet connection, something found virtually everywhere. Besides the iPhone, this app works with other operating systems as well. So, you can do editing from anywhere with any device. Also, it allows you to add text, insert images, draw, and highlight PDFs.
The step-by-step guide on how to edit a PDF on an iPhone is as follows:
- Go to "Edit PDF" on your iPhone.
- Upload the file you want to edit. You can do so by selecting the "Select PDF file" button to pick the file for editing or dragging the document to the "OR DRAG AND DROP THE PDF HERE" area.
- You will find multiple editing choices. Simply tap the desired tools to make edits.
- Once you have completed all the editing, you can tap on the "Download" button at the top of the screen to save it on your iPhone. Easy!