You’ve got a PDF document you’d like to access but it’s password protected. The only problem is, you’ve forgotten or misplaced the password. If you’re in this situation, don’t panic! This is a common problem. And so long as the security level isn’t too strong, it can be easily fixed with an unsecure PDF tool.
PDFs are often password protected, which protects the file from being accessed by anyone who doesn’t have the code. But if your document is locked and you don’t have the password, this will prevent you from accessing it. After all, perhaps you’d like to share it with others, edit the document by adding annotations or text, or you’d like to print it. Whatever the reason, you need to unsecure the PDF before going any further.
In this post, we’ll share how you can use FormatPDf’s online tool to unsecure your PDF from a password. Our step-by-step guide will have you accessing your document in seconds. We’ll also share what you need to know about unsecuring a PDF before you get started. Finally, we’ll explore some of the best alternative methods you can use to release your file from a password. Ready to get started? Let’s begin!
Índice de Contenidos
How To Unsecure A PDF Step-By-Step
If you’ve forgotten your password to access your document, then our online tool may be the solution you’re looking for. You don’t need to download any additional software or pay a fee to use it, and uploading your document couldn’t be easier. Follow our step-by-step instructions below to unsecure your document.
To release your file, follow these step-by-step instructions:
- Go to https://www.formatpdf.com/en/unlock-pdf/
- Navigate to the box “Unlock PDF” and click on it.
- Click the box that reads “Select PDF file” to upload your file. Alternatively, drag and drop it into the area “Or drag and drop the PDF here”.
- Once uploaded, it will load on the screen.
- If you’re happy to continue, click “Unlock”.
- In just a few seconds the task will complete. Click “Download” to receive your file. Once downloaded, you can open it and use it as normal!
What Do You Need To Know About Unsecuring A PDF
Before you get started with unsecuring your document, it’s useful to read up on important points that will enable you to get the most out of the task. Read on for important points to bear in mind:
- Most PDFs can be unsecured, as long as no strong encryption exists. If you’re unable to remove a password, it’s because the security levels are too high. You will need a password to unlock it.
- It doesn’t matter whether your document contains images, text, or both – you can unsecure any PDF from password protection.
- Once you free a document, you can use it as you usually would. So, you can go ahead and make changes to the file, print it, compress it or convert it into, for example, a JPG.
Read More: How To Split A Password-Protected PDF
Alternatives To Unsecure A PDF
An online tool is a perfect solution to unsecure your PDF. It’s quick and simple to use, you don’t need to pay a fee and it’s performed in the cloud so you don’t need to download any software. The benefits speak for themselves. However, if an online tool doesn’t feel quite right, you may wish to explore other options. Below, we will go into some of the best alternatives to unlock your PDF when using different operating systems and devices.
Options To Unsecure A PDF On Your PC
Whether you use a Windows, Linux or Mac operating system, there are plenty of alternative methods. Let’s look at some of the best available options.
Adobe Acrobat provides an alternative way to unsecure your file, though you will need to pay a subscription fee if you are not already subscribed. Remove the password by following these instructions:
- Open your password-protected document in Adobe Acrobat.
- Next, unsecure your file by selecting “File” and opening “Properties”.
- Next, select “Remove Password” in the “Security Method” menu.
- Don’t forget to save.
Google Drive may provide the ideal solution for Mac users, though you will need a Gmail account to use it. You can sign up if you don’t have one. Once you have a Gmail account, follow the steps below:
- Upload your document to Google Drive by dragging and dropping it into your page.
- Click on the Lock icon on the left under “Security Settings”.
- Then click on “Permission Details” > “Security”.
- Set to “No Security” and click “OK” to remove the password.
For Linux users, they can use Adobe Acrobat to unsecure their file. Simply open your document in Adobe Acrobat, then head to "File" and open "Properties". Next, click on "Permission Details" and open the "Security" tab. Opt to "Remove Password” in the “Security Method" menu. Don’t forget to save your document.
Options To Unsecure A PDF On Your Smartphone
You can unsecure a PDF using a smartphone, though you’ll need to download an app from your phone’s app store. Follow the instructions below to find an app.
You can download a third-party app from the App Store to complete your task. Search for "PDF unlock app" or similar in the App Store. Install it on your device and open the document. There should be an option to “unlock PDF” or similar. Click the button and watch the app get to work on your request.
Similar to iPhone users, users of Android devices will find an app in the Google Play Store. Search for “Unlock PDF” in the app store and choose your favorite app. Once downloaded, upload your file and look for the button that will enable you complete your task. Tap the button to perform the action. Once your file is unsecured, don’t forget to download it.