It’s important to know how to check the size of a PDF, regardless of the situation. So that’s why this article exists. Here, we’ll cover a few easy and dependable ways to accurately determine the weight of a file in MB. With this information, you can decide whether or not to compress your PDF files.
For example, imagine you need to email several PDFs to someone, and you choose to use Gmail. However, Gmail has a limit of 25MB for the total attachment size, which includes all PDFs. Therefore, it’s crucial to determine the weight of each file. Unfortunately, the process of checking the weight of each PDF document is not very straightforward.
While PDF files have long been the favored document format for sharing files, PDFs also have their drawbacks. In particular, one of the major limitations of PDFs is the difficulty in determining a PDF's file size compared to other file formats, such as Microsoft Word documents or JPGs. You may also need to see the size of a PDF at certain moments. Let's begin!
Índice de Contenidos
- 1 How To Check The Size Of A PDF
- 2 What You Need To Know About Checking The Size Of A PDF
- 3 Programs that Allow You to Check the Size of a PDF
- 3.1 Checking PDF Size On A Computer
- 3.2 Check The Weight Of A PDF On A Smartphone Or Tablet
- 3.3 FAQs About How To Check The Size Of A PDF
- 3.4 How can I check the size of a PDF file on my computer?
- 3.5 How can I check the size of a PDF within a web browser?
- 3.6 Can I check the size of a PDF using Adobe Acrobat Reader?
How To Check The Size Of A PDF
Every day, thousands of people go online to find out how to check the size of PDFs. Fortunately, the solution is extremely easy, and you don't need to download or install any software on your device.
- To begin, locate the file on your Windows, Mac, or Linux device.
- Next, right-click on the file to bring up a menu, and then select "Properties."
- Within the Properties menu, you should see all the information related to the document, including its weight, which will be displayed in either KB or MB depending on the document's size.
Another option is to use the Adobe Acrobat Reader software. To do so, follow these steps:
- First, open Acrobat Reader.
- Next, click on the "File" section and select "Properties." A list will appear on the "Document Properties Description" tab, where you'll see the weight of your file.
If you find the size of your file to be too large, you can use our excellent online tool called Compress PDF to reduce its size without compromising the quality of the document. With it, you can have a high-quality PDF file with a smaller weight. So, be sure to give it a try!
What You Need To Know About Checking The Size Of A PDF
Now that we know how to perform this action, there are a few important considerations to keep in mind:
- The tool we mentioned for checking a file’s weight is completely free to use and doesn't leave any watermark behind, making it a great option.
- The time it takes to determine the size of a PDF depends on its size. For example, larger files with more pages or images will take longer to process.
- If your document is too large to be sent via email, you can use an online compression tool or merge multiple PDF files into one before sending them.
- Always make a note of your PDF file's weight for future reference. This will help you determine how much to compress the file if needed.
Also, be sure to check out our article on How To ZIP A PDF File for additional tips and tricks!
Programs that Allow You to Check the Size of a PDF
If you're looking for alternative ways to perform this task based on what device you're using, you're in luck. There are lots of other methods available, and we'll discuss some of them below, so you can take your pick.
Checking PDF Size On A Computer
First, let's explore the different methods for checking the weight of PDFs on various computer operating systems, whether you’re using a Windows, Mac or Linux device.
Windows 10 and Earlier Versions of Windows
If you’re currently paying a subscription fee for Adobe Acrobat Reader, we have good news for you. You can use Adobe’s software to check the size of a PDF file on Windows 10 and earlier versions. Additionally, this program allows you to compress large PDFs.
Performing this task on a Mac device is much simpler than on Windows. This is because Mac comes with a built-in program called Preview, which is a PDF viewer created by Apple years ago. This tool enables you to check the weight of large PDFs and compress them.
Determining the weight of documents on a Linux device can be challenging, particularly if you aren’t familiar with Linux commands. However, you can always use an online tool to perform this task on Linux.
Check The Weight Of A PDF On A Smartphone Or Tablet
You've come to the right place if you're seeking information on how to view the size of PDFs on a smartphone or tablet. We'll discuss the most effective methods to do so in this part.
Sadly, Android devices don't include any in-build app to do this task. However, you can always resort to third-party apps such as Adobe Acrobat Reader to carry out this task. Although it comes at a fee, it includes options to compress PDFs. So it's arguably worth your money.
iPhone (iOS) Or iPad
Unlike Mac computers and laptops, Apple's mobile devices don't include any native app to carry out this task. You'll need to visit the Apple App Store and select and install an app that allows you to see the size of PDFs.
FAQs About How To Check The Size Of A PDF
How can I check the size of a PDF file on my computer?
- Locate the PDF file in the file explorer or finder.
- Right-click (or two-finger tap) on the file.
- In the context menu, select "Properties" (Windows) or "Get Info" (Mac).
- A window will appear displaying information about the PDF file, including its size in kilobytes (KB), megabytes (MB), or gigabytes (GB).
How can I check the size of a PDF within a web browser?
- Right-click (or tap and hold) the link to the PDF.
- In the context menu that appears, select "Copy link address" or a similar option.
- Open a new tab or window and paste the copied link into the address bar.
- Press Enter to open the PDF in your web browser.
- Once the PDF loads, right-click (or two-finger tap) on the PDF page.
- Select "Save Page As" (or a similar option) to download the PDF to your computer.
- After downloading, follow the steps from the first FAQ to check the size of the downloaded PDF file.
Can I check the size of a PDF using Adobe Acrobat Reader?
- Open the PDF file in Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Go to the "File" menu and select "Properties."
- In the Properties window, you'll find information about the PDF, including its file size.
- Look for the "File Size" field, which will display the size in kilobytes (KB) or megabytes (MB).
- You can also find additional details about the PDF in this window, such as page dimensions and creation date.