There is always tons of information about you or the document in the metadata of a PDF file, such as the creation date, author, title, update date, subject knowledge, or other details that were utilized to generate the file. You might occasionally want to remove PDF metadata to preserve personal information and confidential materials. Most of you, however, are unaware of how to access, let alone delete, or remove, the metadata data found in PDF files.
Considering that PDF files have become the most used extension type for working, sending documents and so on, it is important that you know more in depth some technical issues about it. Especially if you are looking for how to remove PDF metadata.
However, before moving ahead with the ways to delete metadata from a PDF file, let's see why you might need to carry out this activity. You might do it for document security as the intended audience may not need all of the file's information. Additionally, there may be sensitive information regarding the author or other specifics that you've to remove from your file. Whatever the reason, knowing how to carry out this task is essential.
Given that, this article is quite helpful. Here, we'll discuss some of the best PDF metadata removal tools and provide a step-by-step tutorial to help you do it. Simply scroll down to discover the practical strategies. However, make sure to use the method that suits you the best.
Índice de Contenidos
- 1 How To Remove Metadata From A PDF
- 2 What Do You Need To Know About Delete Metadata From A PDF
- 3 Which Programs Allow You To Delete Metadata From A PDF
- 3.1 Delete Metadata From A PDF From The PC
- 3.2 Delete Metadata From A PDF From The Smartphone Or Tablet
- 3.3 FAQs About How To Remove Metadata From A PDF
- 3.4 What is metadata in a PDF, and why should I remove it?
- 3.5 How can I remove metadata from a PDF file?
- 3.6 Will removing metadata affect the content or appearance of the PDF?
How To Remove Metadata From A PDF
We suggest using an online tool for anyone who wants to remove metadata from a PDF file. That's because you can use this method on a web browser; hence, you won't need any powerful system to complete this task. One of the best tools for removing metadata from a PDF online is PDFYeah. It's a free online tool specially designed to delete all metadata from your files.
These are the easy steps you need to follow to delete metadata from a PDF file with this online tool:
- Go to "PDFYeah".
- Then click on the "Browse" button on your screen and upload the PDF file of your choice. However, remember to keep your file size under 50MB, or else your file won't get uploaded.
- Once your PDF file gets uploaded, click the "Remove PDF Metadata" button at the bottom of the screen.
- Finally, you need to save it on your device. You can do so by simply clicking the Download File link. Moreover, make sure to keep the file with a different name. Also, you can send your final file through messaging apps or email.
Additionally, if you want to edit your PDF file, you can use "Edit PDF" and edit it as you like.
What Do You Need To Know About Delete Metadata From A PDF
Being able to delete metadata from a PDF file brings us to our next section. In this part, we'll learn about a few aspects to consider while carrying out the activity.
These are some of the key elements to remember while removing metadata from any PDF file:
- The tool we've discussed in this article is entirely cloud-based, so you don't need to worry about downloading any third-party application on your device. That way, you can complete the task of deleting metadata from your PDF file(s) without worrying about the space on your device.
- Additionally, the program is entirely free to use. So, you don't have to pay to get any sort of license from any app to be able to remove metadata from a PDF file.
- Of course, you can use this cloud-based software on all operating systems, including Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android. In fact, its compatibility is one of the critical elements that make the tool the best alternative if you want to remove metadata from your PDF files.
- Lastly, this tool doesn't include watermarks, and hence there are no worries about getting any after you carry out the task of removing metadata from your PDF file.
Which Programs Allow You To Delete Metadata From A PDF
After you've seen the tool we've demonstrated, it's time to provide you with different alternate apps enabling you to delete metadata from a PDF file. The samples we'll give you in the following sections will need to be downloaded and installed in this case because they aren't cloud-based software. We'll differentiate based on the type of electronic gadget handled.
Delete Metadata From A PDF From The PC
A computer is undoubtedly one of the most used devices, so it's essential to know how to delete metadata from PDF files on computers. Here, it's crucial to consider whether you operate with Windows, Mac, or Linux because different options will function better for other operating systems depending on your use.
Windows 10 And Prior Versions Of Windows
For anyone who wants to remove metadata from a PDF on a Windows device (be it Windows 10 or any of its prior versions), it's good to use Metadata++. That's because, other than being a Windows-friendly application, it allows you to easily bulk-edit a larger volume of PDF files without selecting them individually.
Mac users can download and install Adobe Acrobat Reader. It's a good instrument that will undoubtedly provide you with the desired outcome. Remember that Adobe, the firm that invented the PDF format, provides the most cutting-edge products for working with PDFs, most of which are paid for. However, if you don't want to spend your money, you can always choose to use online tools.
In Linux, an application called "Master PDF Editor" will allow you to delete metadata from a PDF file of your choice. It's free, so you can use it without hesitation. However, there are alternatives available to this program that you can use to carry out the task. One of them is, of course, using online tools.
Delete Metadata From A PDF From The Smartphone Or Tablet
Remember that not everything in today's world is a computer. Two frequently used gadgets are tablets and, more importantly, smartphones. As a result, they increasingly perform tasks similar to computers.
One of the most popular mobile and tablet operating systems available is Android. You can find several installable tools that let you remove metadata from a PDF file in its official app store, Google Play, which is available for this platform. We recommend that you choose the option with the best value or try a few to determine which one you like.
iPhone (iOS) Or iPad
Users with an iPhone or iPad can access the App Store to find the specific App they require; in this example, one intended to remove metadata from a PDF, just like Android users have access to Google Play. A long list of software applications compatible with this category of Apple technological device can also be found.
FAQs About How To Remove Metadata From A PDF
What is metadata in a PDF, and why should I remove it?
How can I remove metadata from a PDF file?
- Open the PDF document using Adobe Acrobat or a PDF editor that supports metadata removal.
- In Adobe Acrobat, go to the "File" menu and choose "Properties."
- In the Properties window, click on the "Additional Metadata" tab.
- Here, you'll find various metadata fields. Clear or modify the fields you want to remove or alter.
- Click "OK" to save the changes to the metadata.
- To be more thorough, you can also "Save As" the document with a different name to ensure all metadata changes are applied to the new copy.