A Portable Document Format (PDF) document keeps all the formatting intact. And that's why it has always been one of the most preferred file formats for sharing documents. However, it does include some drawbacks. One of which is that you can't check the size of a PDF file directly like other file formats. Don't worry; you can still carry out this task before editing your PDF, for example.
Before moving ahead with the procedure of seeing the size of PDF files, let's look at a few situations where you might need to carry out this activity. For instance, you might need to send a file to a person through email. And that person expects a file that can be printed without losing its original size. So, you need to know the PDF paper size before sending it.
Whatever the reason, it's necessary to know how to check the dimensions of PDF files. In this write-up, we'll discuss some reliable ways to carry out this task. So, without further ado, let's roll on!
Índice de Contenidos
How To Know The PDF Page Size
It is no surprise that "how to check the dimensions of PDF files" is one of the most talked-about questions about the PDF format on the internet. And the good news is that its solutions are relatively easy and straightforward.
In fact, there are ways to carry out this activity without needing to install or download any application on your device. Yes, you guessed it right! You can check PDF page size on the internet using various online tools available on the market. We suggest using Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Here are a few easy steps you need to follow if you want to check the dimensions of PDF files:
- Go to Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Tap on the "Properties" option from the drop-down menu next to "File".
- You'll see a list with the PDF page dimensions in the "Document Properties Description tab" section on your screen under the name "Page Size".
What You Need To Know About Know The PDF Page Size
Since we're well aware of how to check the dimensions of PDF files using software means, it's essential to know some key considerations that you need to keep in mind while carrying out this activity.
Following are a few aspects that you should remember while checking PDF page size:
- The tool, namely Adobe Acrobat Reader, is entirely free to use, so you don't need to spend any amount on purchasing its subscription plan. Additionally, you don't have to worry about watermarks as it doesn't leave any behind. And this makes the tool way more practical.
- It would be best if you remembered that the tool might take a few seconds to a couple of minutes to check the dimensions of PDF files. That's because the time factor entirely depends on the size of a file. For example, this tool will take more time to complete the size-checking task if the PDF file includes more pictures and pages.
Check This: How To Remove Metadata From A PDF
- You might already know that if the file size is too large, you won't be able to send it via email. So, make sure to compress it using other online tools.
- Of course, we recommend you write the size of a PDF file after seeing its size. That way, you can have an idea if you need to compress it or not in the near future.
Which Programs Allow You To Know The PDF Page Size
No doubt, using a tool to know the PDF page size is the most suitable alternative. But there are other options available. In fact, there are various ways through which you can carry out this task within minutes. And in this section, we're going to discuss some of these methods for different operating systems (including computer operating systems and mobile operating systems).
Know The PDF Page Size From The PC
The process of knowing the size of a PDF file on computers might appear a bit challenging, but in reality, it's not. In fact, it's way simpler to carry out this activity on computer operating systems. So, without wasting any more time, let us know the way to check the dimensions of PDF files on computers.
Windows 10 And Prior Versions Of Windows
You should get an Adobe Acrobat Reader subscription if you have a Windows computer and want to know the PDF page size. That's because it allows you to carry out the aforementioned along with other PDF-related functions. In fact, you can even use it to reduce the size of your PDF file if needed.
You are in luck if you use Mac computers to see the size of a PDF file. That's because Mac has a native program named "Preview." It allows you to carry out this task and even lets you edit and modify your files if you want. Also, as Apple has already embedded it on Mac devices, you don't need to install any third-party apps.
Sadly, unlike Mac, Linux devices don't include any native application for knowing PDF page size. And as a result, it's challenging to carry out this activity if you are someone with no knowledge of Linux commands. Therefore, we advise you to go for online tools like the one we've mentioned above. That way, you won't need to worry about understanding command lines.
Know The PDF Page Size From Your Smartphone Or Tablet
Mobile phones being tiny supercomputers, it's essential to know how to see the size of PDF files on smartphones and tablets. So, let's quickly jump into it!
Although Android smartphones or tablets don't include any native application to check the dimensions of PDF files, you can still carry out this task. All you need is to head over to Google Play Store and install a good app that allows you to do the job. Well, we recommend using Adobe Acrobat Reader as it's one of the top software on the market.
iPhone (iOS) Or iPad
Just like on an Android phone, you can also check the dimensions of PDF files on your iPhone (iOS) or iPad. You'll only have to go to the Apple App Store and choose an application that allows you to do the aforementioned. We recommend selecting an app with good ratings and reviews.