Editing text in PDFs can be challenging, especially if you need the right tools. However, with the correct software, you can easily make changes to a document without affecting its formatting or layout. Various software options are available for editing PDFs on different platforms, including on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Some of these programs are free and open-source, while others are paid options.
But before moving ahead with the best ways that you can use to edit the text in PDFs, let's talk about a few situations where this knowledge comes in handy. For instance, you may need to edit a file to update or correct its information. Alternatively, you may need to amend a PDF that has been shared with multiple parties and you need to make changes and annotations, and track changes.
Doesn't matter what the reason is; knowing how to edit PDFs is always a good move. This article will show you some of the best ways to carry out the task. Moreover, we'll also let you know a few things you need to keep in mind while editing text in your documents.
Índice de Contenidos
How To Edit Text In A PDF
This section will discuss one of the best ways to edit text in PDFs. This is so that you can avoid the hassle of recreating the entire file if you need to update it with various changes, including text. Moreover, you don't have to download or install any third-party program, which is a plus point.
With that being said, here's a step-by-step guide on how to alter PDFs using an online tool:
- Go to https://www.formatpdf.com/en/edit-pdf/
- Tap on the big red "Select PDF file" button and select the file you want to edit. Alternatively, you can drag your file onto the space that says, "Or drag and drop the PDF here."
- Once done, the next screen will load with your document. Here, double-click on any of the text you want to change to edit it. You’ll see that the changes appear on the PDF.
- Finish it off by saving the file on your device. You can do so by clicking on the "Download" option.
What You Need To Know About Editing Text In PDF
You need to keep a list of things in mind while editing PDFs. These are as follows:
- It's important to consider the compatibility of the software used to edit the PDF file. And luckily, the tool that we've mentioned above works with all operating systems.
- Make careful use of the right color for the reader whenever you edit the text. This is crucial because changing the document again after you are finished will need a lot of your time and effort. Additionally, it's crucial to match the color of your new text to the one used in the original PDF document.
Check This: How To Edit A Scanned PDF Document
- Naturally, use the same font to amend the text as the existing font. The final file will contain the original PDF's font and the font of any additional content you add.
- Everything you have edited in the file, including text, elements, colors, and fonts, will be present in the final document you receive.
- A plus point of using the tool mentioned above is that it doesn't leave any watermarks. So, you can edit PDFs without worrying about looking unprofessional.
Which Programs Allow You To Edit Text In A PDF
The ideal option for editing text in a PDF is an online application like Edit PDF. However, there are cases when you might also wish to use other choices. In fact, we've lots of third-party programs. In this part, you'll discover various methods for altering PDFs on different operating systems, including computers and mobile devices.
Edit Text In PDF From Your PC
Although PDFs are among the greatest file types for viewing documents on all devices, only some people are familiar with how to edit the text in PDFs. Fortunately, it's not impossible, despite what most people believe. You can edit a pre-made PDF on a PC running Windows, Mac, or Linux operating systems.
Windows 10 And Prior Versions Of Windows
The most common task asked by users who need to make alterations to their documents from a Windows computer is, without a doubt, editing text in a PDF. If you're seeking alternatives that let you edit PDFs in Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows XP, and other earlier versions, it's good to check out the premium program Acrobat Reader.
On a Mac, you can easily find an editing tool in Preview if you want to make changes to your file, although without changing the text or graphics it currently includes. This feature is available, among others, in Apple's default PDF viewer. All you need to do is open your document in Preview and use its tools.
There are several ways to edit PDFs on Linux, including using an online tool such as "Edit PDF", which we've already discussed. Apart from that, you can also use various open-source software like GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program), LibreOffice Draw, PDF-Shuffler, Okular, PDFill, PDF Editor, Inkscape, and PDF-XChange Editor, to name a few.
Edit Text In PDF From A Smartphone Or Tablet
Given the widespread use of smartphones and tablets today, it isn't surprising that most people enjoy working with PDFs when on the go. Here's a guide on using a mobile device to edit PDFs:
Although online tools like ours are best for editing text in a PDF file on an Android smartphone or tablet, various applications are available. The most well-known of them is Adobe, which provides a document editing tool via a paid monthly subscription that may be utilized to make the necessary modifications to your work. However, you can use free ones as well.
iPhone (iOS) Or iPad
How to edit the text in PDFs on an iPhone or iPad? The answer is pretty simple. Some programs let you make all the adjustments you need to your PDF document, ranging from PDFpen to Adobe Acrobat Reader, via iAnnotate PDF, and many others. Install any of them from the Apple App Store today and begin editing your PDFs.