Many people use Microsoft Excel to sort, analyze, and store different data sets. In fact, sometimes, you may have to transfer information from a Word into an Excel file to organize it. However, doing the task manually can be quite time-consuming and boring. Well, not anymore; there are various simple ways to transform your documents into spreadsheets.
Before moving ahead with how to carry out the task, let's understand a few situations where you might need to transform Word into Excel. You may have a few tables you need to analyze; converting them into a spreadsheet would be easier. Or maybe you need to transform your entire text document into a spreadsheet. In both cases, converting a document to a spreadsheet is best.
In this article, we will show you how to convert Word to Excel using both online and offline methods on different operating systems. Moreover, we will also provide you with some tips to carry out the task more effectively. So, without further ado, let's get started!
Índice de Contenidos
How To Convert Word To Excel Step-By-Step
One of the best and easiest ways to transform Word into Excel is via a dedicated online file conversion platform. FormatPDF has all the tools you need to transform a document into a spreadsheet and is safe and secure. To do this, you must (1) convert your document to PDF (2) and then to a spreadsheet.
The steps are as follows:
- Go to https://www.formatpdf.com/en/word-to-pdf/
- Click "Select Word file" and choose the file you want to convert from your device.
- Tap "Convert to PDF", and your PDF file will be downloaded to your device.
- Now, it's time to transform it into a spreadsheet; for that, go to https://www.formatpdf.com/en/pdf-to-excel/
- Click the "Select PDF file" button and choose the PDF file you need to transform into a spreadsheet.
- Once your file is uploaded, tap "Convert to Excel" and wait a bit. The tool will automatically download the final file on your device.
What You Need To Know About Converting Word to Excel
While going through the various steps to convert Word to Excel, it's important to consider a few specific factors to ensure the best possible results. These are as follows:
- Of course, the resulting file you get will have the same content as your document. In fact, the intermediate step of converting it to a PDF will have no impact whatsoever on the content itself. So you can proceed with confidence, knowing that the conversion process won't alter any of the information.
- The quality of your file will remain unchanged, which means that the quality of the final document will solely rely on the quality of the original Word file. In simple words, if any graphics or elements in the Word document are low quality, they will be preserved as is in the final file.
- The time taken for a document to be first converted to PDF and then to a spreadsheet will depend upon several factors, including the speed of your internet connection. Also, the number of pages in the converted file will impact the overall timing.
Read More: How To Convert Excel to Word
Which Programs Allow You To Convert Word to Excel
If you are in a situation where you don't have access to an internet connection but need to transform your Word file into an XLS, there are ways to do that. The procedure will depend upon the device you are using or the operating system installed on your device. So, let's see how to convert Word to Excel on different devices.
Convert Word to Excel On A PC
It's quite easy to transform documents into spreadsheets, especially if you have the right software or app installed. In fact, there are different ways to do the task, and this depends on the operating system you are using. And in this section, we will see how to carry out the task on different computer OS.
Converting a document to Excel on Windows is simple:
- Open the file and select the content you want to convert.
- Copy the selected content by pressing Ctrl+C.
- Open a blank spreadsheet and paste the copied content using Ctrl+V.
- Format and adjust the data as needed.
Like on Windows, converting a document to a spreadsheet on Mac is also quite simple:
- Open the Word document and select the content you wish to convert.
- Press Command+C to copy the selected content.
- Then, open a blank spreadsheet and press Command+V to paste the copied content.
- You might need to adjust the formatting and organize the data accordingly.
You can use a combination of tools to convert Word to Excel on Linux. First, convert the Word document to a CSV file using the "pandoc" command in the terminal. Once you have the CSV file, open it in a spreadsheet app like LibreOffice Calc or Gnumeric, and then save it as a spreadsheet within the spreadsheet program.
Convert Word To Excel On A Smartphone Or Tablet
You may sometimes need to convert Word to a spreadsheet on your smartphone or tablet. In such a case, several applications allow you to complete the task. These are available in the Play Store and Apple App Store.
There is an official app store for Android, the Google Play Store, where you can find various dedicated applications to convert a Word document to a spreadsheet. For instance, you can install reputed apps like "Docs To Go" or "OfficeSuite." Open the app and choose the file you want to convert to a spreadsheet. Then simply follow the instructions as needed.
iPhone (iOS) Or iPad
Converting a Word document to Excel on iPhone or iPad can be done using specific apps from the Apple App Store. You just need to install a reliable application like "Microsoft Excel" or "Documents by Readdle" on your device. Open the app, import the Word document into the app's file manager, and select the option to convert it to Excel. Easy!