One of the reasons why PDFs are often used for sharing and sending important documents is that you can protect them with a password. There are several options available, including making the print tool or editing function password-protected. But what if you need to edit a password-protected PDF? This is a common issue that can be easily fixed by unlocking the PDF.
Unlocking and editing a password-protected PDF can be necessary for various reasons, such as correcting errors, adding or removing content, collaborating with others, updating information, repurposing content, or archiving. Whether you need to correct mistakes, make changes, or extract content, unlocking a PDF can be useful for a range of purposes.
Read on to find out exactly how to remove a password from a document. On top of learning how to edit a protected PDF, we will give you some useful tips and information when it comes to unlocking and editing this kind of file.
Índice de Contenidos
How To Edit A PDF With A Password Step By Step
There are different ways in which you can edit your password-protected document. One of the quickest and easiest solutions is using an online platform like FormatPDF. Some advantages of editing your file online are that it’s free, the user-friendly interface makes it super-easy to learn; you can access it from any device or operating system with an internet connection. Give it a go right away, by following these steps:
- Go to https://www.formatpdf.com/en/unlock-pdf/
- 2. Upload your files to the platform:
- Click on ‘Select PDF file’ and locate the file you want to edit before clicking ‘Open’.
- Alternatively, drag and drop your file into the action box.
- Next, click on ‘Unlock’ to remove the password protection.
- Now that the file is ready, you can go ahead and use the editing tools available on the platform.
- Finally, don’t forget to download the new version of your document.
What You Need To Know About Editing A Protected PDF
When you’re in a rush or working towards a tight deadline, dealing with a password-protected PDF is the last thing you want. Don’t worry, we can help you find the best way to edit your document hassle-free. Follow our tips and guidelines, and you will get the job done in no time at all.
- First things first, don’t waste time decrypting the password on a PDF until you have checked what the password is for. Adobe gives you the option of adding a password for different actions, for instance, the password may be for printing the file, which wouldn’t be an issue for editing it.
Check Out: How To Copy Text From A Protected PDF
- Always ask permission first from the owner of the document. Passwords are there for a reason and if the file has been password protected for editing, you should always ask yourself whether it’s right for you to remove the password first.
- Once you have removed the encryption, you can go ahead and edit the document. In some cases, PDF files are saved as images, which could make it tricky to edit them. If this happens to you, you should use OCR software to convert the file.
- One of the most common things we need to do with a file of this kind is to fill it out and sign it. To do this, you can add a text box with the missing sections of a form. As for the signature, you can upload a picture of your signature or draw it directly on the form.
- Before you download your document, why not take a look at the other tools available? You may wish to compress your file or convert it to JPG before you close the page.
Which Programs Allow You To Edit A Protected PDF
Editing this type of file isn’t as straightforward as it would be with other formats. Only certain compatible programs will allow you to edit these files, and even fewer can remove an encrypted password. With this in mind, here are some options available for both PC and smartphones.
Editing A Protected PDF From A PC
There are several options available for PCs. One of the most popular is using an online platform designed for this format. Another solution is to download and install software such as Acrobat Pro. Keep in mind that this sort of program generally requires a paid subscription.
Let’s take a closer look at the main operating systems: Windows, Mac, and Linux.
Adobe Acrobat Pro can be installed on all Windows devices. You can take advantage of the free trial to test it out before committing to a paid subscription. With this program, you can edit the document after selecting ‘Remove security’, which eliminates the password.
All Adobe products, including Acrobat Pro, are available on Mac computers. This program allows you to edit the text, add annotations and highlight sections, as well as decrypt the file.
On Linux devices, you can as use an online editor or install an open-source tool. When it comes to the latter, you can try Master PDF Editor, designed to work on this file format and is capable of removing an open password.
Edit A Protected PDF From A Smartphone Or Tablet
If your preferred choice of device is a smartphone or tablet, there are some great options for you. So many of us work from our phones today or need to be able to make a quick change to a document on the go. This is why most online editing platforms can be easily accessed from your smartphone. Not only that, but there are several apps available for those of you who love to have an app for everything.
iPhone or iPad
There are many apps available from the Apple Store, including a version of Adobe Acrobat Reader. Give it a go using the free trial and see if it’s right for you. Otherwise, you can try one of the many free apps available, but make sure they can remove a password first.
If you use an Android device, you will also have a few different apps to choose from. We recommend trying PDFelement as one of the apps with the most editing tools for this format. Please note, this app has limited free features, so you may need to upgrade for more advanced editing tools.