PDFs have become a popular way to share information in the digital age, thanks to their compatibility with operating systems like Linux, Windows, and Mac. However, sometimes PDFs can exceed size limits on platforms like Gmail or WhatsApp due to multiple pages or internal elements. Compressing a file can solve this problem and help you send those documents without issues. So, knowing how to downsize PDF files is essential, and you should take it seriously.
Sometimes, you may need to downsize PDFs for various reasons. One common reason is when sharing PDFs via email or messaging platforms, which may have a size limit. Compressing a PDF can make it easier to upload to a website or cloud storage service or save storage space on your device. Whatever the reason, downsizing files is a practical solution that can help you.
Downsizing a file is easier than you might think! In this guide, we'll walk you through some simple and effective ways to reduce the size of your PDFs, so you can easily share or upload them without any hassle. So, let's get started and make your PDFs more manageable!
Índice de Contenidos
How To Downsize A PDF
Choosing the right tool is crucial before starting to downsize a file. While there are plenty of options available, we'll discuss a platform that lets you compress files and merge multiple PDFs and convert them into Word documents. And that's FormatPDF, and it has various tools that let you do all PDF-related activities. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to downsize PDF files using an online tool:
- Go to https://www.formatpdf.com/en/compress-pdf/
- 2. On the page, you have two options to upload your document. You can click the "Select PDF File" button to open your document. Alternatively, you can drag the file onto the "Or Drag And Drop The PDF Here" button. Either way, it's quick and easy to get started.
- 3. After uploading the file, the website will display a screen with three compression options:
- It's best to choose the recommended option to ensure that the quality of the content within the document remains intact.
- Once you have chosen the required option, click on the red button, which reads "Compress PDF". It'll automatically save your file.
What You Need To Know About Downsizing A PDF
When you reduce the size of a document, some of its features might be altered. So, it's essential to keep the following things in mind before using the tool to carry out the task:
- Of course, when you downsize PDFs, the content will not be affected. It means the text and graphics inside the file will not be deleted or moved from their original position.
- The best thing is that you don't need to worry about compatibility issues, as the tool is designed to work with a wide range of operating systems and devices. Whether you are using Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, or Android, you can easily access and use the tool to reduce the size of your files.
- It's always a good idea to keep a backup of the original document for security reasons in case you need to retrieve it later. So, before downloading the compressed version of the PDF on your device, save a copy of the original file.
- When using the tool, you don't have to worry about watermarks or pesky ads being added to your documents. In fact, your file will remain unchanged and free from any unwanted additions.
Read More: How To Compress Large PDF Files
Which Programs Allow You To Downsize A PDF
When you are without internet access and need to reduce the size of your file, various options are available depending on the device and operating system you use. These alternatives enable you to compress your PDFs without an internet connection. So, you can still easily reduce the size of your PDFs without internet access.
Downsize A PDF On A PC
Making changes to PDFs on a computer provides more flexibility and is often more efficient than on a mobile device. That's because computers offer more advanced tools and larger screens that make editing and viewing documents easier. Therefore, performing actions such as downsizing files on a computer is generally recommended for optimal results.
Windows 10 And Prior Versions Of Windows
Various software options for downsizing files on Windows include Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, Foxit Reader, Slim PDF Reader, and more. Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is a popular choice and can be used by opening the file and selecting the "Compress PDF" option in the side menu on the right. Finally, click on the "Compress Now" button.
If you are using a Mac, you can also downsize files using the Preview program. Open the document in Preview, select the File option, and choose Export. A pop-up menu will appear where you can select the Quartz Filter option and then choose Reduce File Size. Click Save, and your compressed PDF will be ready to use.
Linux, an operating system with free license programs, has several tools to reduce documents, such as PDFunite and PDFsam. These tools enable users to reduce the size of files and join or transform them into other formats. The difference between Linux and other operating systems is that the PDF viewing tools are used via commands which you must know.
Downsize A PDF On A Smartphone Or Tablet
While computers are undoubtedly the most preferred devices to reduce PDFs’ size, there are times when they're not available. Luckily, many mobile apps and programs allow you to compress files on your phone or tablet.
Android users can choose from various apps to reduce the size of their files, such as Adobe Acrobat Reader, PDF Reader Pro, or WPS Office. For Adobe Acrobat Reader, download and open the app, select the desired file to downsize, click on the three dots icon, and choose the "Compress PDF" option.
iPhone (iOS) Or iPad
Handling PDF documents on iOS (iPhone or iPad) is often challenging, but it's similar to using Android devices. To reduce files on an iPhone or iPad, download an app from the App Store by searching for "reduce PDF" and follow the same steps described earlier. The only difference is that Apple stores the documents differently.