PDFs are no doubt one of the best file formats on the market; however, when it comes to editing, it's everyone's least favorite. But now, making all the necessary changes to your document is possible when you convert it to Word. This is equivalent to turning your file into an editable document where you can make any changes you want without losing its formatting. In essence, all you will need to do is produce an editable PDF.
For instance, suppose someone asked you to fill out a paper form that you have already scanned, and you are requested to add text, checkboxes, and/or digitally sign the file before sending it. Quite frustrating. But you need to learn how to handle this situation like a pro. Simply make your scanned file editable by converting it to a Word document.
As follows, you will get a step-by-step guide on how to create an editable PDF that will allow you to customize your document to your exact specifications. That is, steps to convert your scanned file to a text document. So, without delay, let's jump into the steps.
Índice de Contenidos
How To Convert A Scanned PDF To Word
One of the best possible ways to convert a scanned file to a Word document is by using cloud-based tools. That's because you don't have to worry if it will work on your device. Moreover, these tools are web-based, so there is no need to download or install them, which saves up space on your device.
There are a lot of tools available on the market. But not all are effective and efficient enough to be used. We highly recommend using "PDF To Word" by FormatPDF.com for carrying this task out.
Here's how to convert a scanned file to a Word document using this tool:
- Go to https://www.formatpdf.com/en/pdf-to-word/
- Click on the big red button in the middle of the page that says, "Select PDF file," and select the required file. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop the file onto the space which reads "OR DRAG AND DROP THE PDF FILE HERE."
- Once you have selected your file, the tool will automatically upload it. The process may take a few minutes, depending on your file size.
- Tap on the "Convert" button to convert your file into a text document.
What You Need To Know About Converting A PDF To Word
Before you go and convert your scanned PDF to an editable Word document, it's crucial for you to be aware of a few aspects while carrying out this activity. These are as follows:
- Sometimes PDF files are password-protected so that no one can access them without the owner's permission. If you ever come across this kind of file that you need to convert into a Word file, you'll need to unlock it. You can ask for the password or else use an excellent online tool to open it.
- It's essential to copy the content in your file before you convert it into text. You could have your file's saved copy on your device, which you can use later if needed. Also, it is always a smart move to have an extra copy.
Check This: How To Make A Copy Of A Word Document
- Although having to wait for a while can be a bit annoying, patience is a virtue. It would be best if you keep in mind that depending on your file size, conversions of your files into a text document can take a few seconds to a few minutes. Additionally, it may take longer if your file contains high-quality pictures.
- There may be a few formatting errors in the final text document. In this situation, you can correct things by changing their formatting.
Which Programs Allow You To Convert A PDF To Word
Although converting a scanned file to a Word document using an online tool is the simplest method, you might want to use other ways to do this task on your device. The action can be carried out both from a PC (Windows, Mac, or Linux) and a mobile device or tablet (Android or iOS).
Convert A Scanned PDF To Word Using A PC
The Optical Character Recognition (OCR) PDF technique, so termed because it performs text recognition on PDF files, can be carried out using Windows PCs, Linux devices, and Mac computers. It's a suitable method if you want to convert scanned files to text documents.
Windows 10 And Prior Versions Of Windows
If you use a Windows (10 or other older versions of Windows) computer and want to convert files to Word documents, you are in luck. That's because a Microsoft program called OneNote for Windows includes an option called "Copy text from the image," whose purpose is to extract the text from scanned files so that the necessary modifications can be made afterward.
Unfortunately, the Adobe Reader program doesn't have the essential capabilities to read a PDF and then extract its text content in the case of Mac. That's why turning to an online solution, like the one described in the article above, is the best course of action. Moreover, you can always use the Google Docs text editor available on Google Drive.
On Linux, Ubuntu provides specialized tools that can be installed from the console so you can edit scanned documents by extracting the text from the image. One example is the gImageReader repository. However, if you have LibreOffice installed, you need to enter just a few commands to convert a PDF file into an editable Word.
Convert A Scanned PDF To Word From Your Smartphone Or Tablet
You can always use a mobile device or tablet as an alternative to a PC when you need to convert a scanned PDF to a Word document. The procedure is the same whether you have an Android or iPhone.
If you wish to regularly convert a scanned PDF to a Word document on an Android device, you may either download an app from the Google Play Store or use the Chrome browser to perform the task online. When you type in "convert PDF to Word" into a search engine, all the options will appear.
iPhone (iOS) Or iPad
The situation with the iPad and iPhone is very much similar to that of Android. It involves either downloading an app from the Apple App Store to convert a scanned file to a Word document or using an online platform to carry out this operation. However, always make sure to install an application with good ratings and reviews.