PDF files are great, but their large size can be problematic when it comes to storage, uploading, downloading or sharing. Moreover, if the file is too big, sending them via email is impossible. And this is where condensing the file size comes in handy. Doing so can reduce a PDF's size without compromising its quality. This makes it easier to share and store without worrying about taking up too much space.
Condensing a PDF has several advantages, including speeding up the process of sharing or uploading files. It is especially useful for those who often exchange large files for work or school purposes. It also saves the precious storage space on your device. With limited storage capacity on many devices, every bit counts. Moreover, condensing PDFs can help improve your overall productivity. Therefore, it's important to know how to do it.
The process of condensing PDF size is simple and can be done using various methods, including online tools or software programs. It doesn't matter if you are on a PC, Mac, or mobile device; there's always a way to make your PDFs smaller and save time and hassle.
Índice de Contenidos
How To Condense A PDF
A great way to get your work done quickly is using an online tool like "Compress PDF" by FormatPDF. The best part is that you don't have to download/install anything or create an account - you only need an internet connection and a web browser. Plus, it can process your document in just a few seconds!
Follow these simple steps to condense a file using an online tool:
- Go to https://www.formatpdf.com/en/compress-pdf/
- Click on the "Select PDF File" option and select the file from your device. You can also drag and drop the file onto the "Or Drag And Drop The PDF Here" button. It's that easy! Just wait for it to load into the platform, and you are good to go.
- Next, a new window will pop up offering three options for reducing the file size:
- Maximum compression.
- Recommended compression.
- Low compression.
- If you are unsure which one to go for, we suggest choosing the recommended compression option, as it won't compromise the quality of your PDF's graphics and images. It's a safe choice!
- Once you have selected your preferred reduction option, click the "Compress PDF" button in red.
What You Need To Know About Condensing A PDF
It's important to note that reducing the size of a file can affect its content, depending on whether you choose the extreme or recommended compression option. Here are some key points to keep in mind while carrying out the task:
- Choosing the "extreme compression" option can impact the quality of graphics and images in your file. The downscaling process reduces the resolution of the entire document, which may not be optimal.
- If you value quality, try the recommended compression option. It strikes a balance between file size reduction and image quality. This option applies a medium level of compression and will maintain your document's quality more than the extreme compression option. Ultimately, it depends on how much you must compress your file for sending.
- It's worth noting that the FormatPDF tool doesn't add watermarks or any advertising to your documents. You can rest assured that your file will appear exactly the same as the original, without unwanted additions.
Rest assured that reducing the size of your PDF won't impact the internal content in any way. Your document won't be cut or have any content deleted during the compression process.
Read More: How To Compress A PDF’s File Size On Mobile
Which Programs Allow You To Condense A PDF
If you’re dealing with a large file and don't have access to the internet or a web browser, you may wonder how to condense it for sharing. Fortunately, there are other programs you can install for this task. Some are free, while others require a subscription or payment, depending on the operating system you use on your device.
Condense A PDF On A PC
When it comes to compressing files, using a computer (Windows, Mac, or Linux) gives you access to a wide range of software options that can help make the process easier. These programs are specifically designed for compressing files, so they often have more features and customization options than online tools or other mobile apps.
Windows 10 And Prior Versions Of Windows
If you are using a Windows operating system, you have many other options for condensing files. Two of the most popular apps for this purpose are Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and Sumatra PDF. They also allow you to save and share your documents on cloud storage platforms like Google Drive.
Mac users have a similar experience to Windows regarding condensing files. The main difference is that Macs come with a built-in program called Preview, which can be used for this purpose. To carry out the task using Preview, you must make a copy of the file and then adjust the compression settings when saving it as a PDF.
Linux is an open-source operating system, and several tools are available to help you modify files. For instance, PDFunite is a popular tool that allows you to reduce the size of files, merge them, or even convert them to different formats. The best part is that many of these tools are available for free.
Condense A PDF On A Smartphone Or Tablet
No computer? No worries! Sometimes, we only need a mobile phone or tablet to get the job done. Fortunately, many apps have an interface that also works for smart devices. You can be up and running in a few minutes without any trouble.
If you have an Android device, you can use Adobe Acrobat to condense large PDFs with a paid subscription. Open the file, select the compression tool, choose the recommended or medium option to maintain graphic quality, and press "Save". Verify that it is exported correctly in the device's memory. However, you can use free apps as well.
iPhone (iOS) Or iPad
The Apple App Store has various apps that allow the compression of files. Apple devices have a default PDF viewer that can perform such tasks. However, if you prefer a different application, you can search the Apple App Store for compatible ones. To do this, search for "compress PDF", and all the available apps will be displayed.