Without question, the best format for saving, sharing and uploading documents is PDF. This is primarily because the information included therein can be easily accessed from any device or operating system, with the same formatting. However, occasionally, the size of the document prevents you from sharing it with others. Fortunately, in these cases, you can always reduce the file’s size using various methods. So it's vital to know how to reduce a PDF’s size on Mac.
There are various situations where you need to reduce a PDF’s size on Mac. For instance, you might have a file you need to send as an email attachment, but its size needs to be smaller. In such a case, the only option is to compress it. What’s more, large files can take a long time to print, especially if you have a slow printer. So compressing the file will help.
In this article, we'll show you some of the best ways to squeeze a file on a Mac so that you can reduce its size immediately. This way, you can save, send or upload the document as you please. So, let’s get started!
Índice de Contenidos
How To Compress A PDF On Mac
The good news is that there's an easy solution that you can use right on your Mac - the Preview app. This is a powerful PDF viewer that comes pre-installed on every Mac, and it includes a helpful feature that allows you to compress files in just a few clicks.
Here's how to compress a PDF on Mac using Preview:
- Launch "Preview" on your Mac device and open the PDF. Alternatively, you can place your cursor over your chosen file and click the right mouse button. There will be a menu. Choose "Open with" and then "Preview."
- Once the PDF is open, in the "File" menu, select "Export".
- In the “Export” window, in the "Quartz Filter" drop-down menu, choose "Reduce File Size".
- Next, from the "Resolution" drop-down menu, adjust your file’s size by selecting "Custom".
- Click "Save" to save the compressed file to your desired location.
That's it! Preview will compress the file, reducing its size while maintaining its quality. You can now email or upload the file with ease.
What You Need To Know About Compressing A PDF On Mac
When compressing the size of a PDF on a Mac, there are a few factors to take into account, much like with any other computer process:
- Sadly, in Preview, there’s no selection for how much compression should be applied. So if you wish to customize the compression amount or any other specifics, you’ll need to select a different program.
Check This: How To Edit A PDF On Mac
- If you’re compressing a file that’s mostly text, you’ll notice that the size reduction will be relatively small. This is because text files don’t have much extraneous information to remove.
- However, if you’re compressing a file with images or other elements, you’ll see that the resulting file is much lighter. This is because images include lots of repeating data bits that the tool can safely remove without being visible to the human eye.
- Remember, some files will prevent you from reducing a PDF’s size on a Mac. If this happens, it’s likely because the document is locked so that no changes can be made. Luckily, though, you can always unlock such files using an online tool.
Which Programs Allow You To Compress A PDF On Mac
Apart from learning how to compress a file on Mac using the in-built program "Preview," it's also essential to learn a few alternatives. That's because you may encounter a situation where using the "Preview" app isn't enough. As such, once you know about various options, you can choose the one that suits you best.
"Compress PDF" by FormatPDF
While the in-built compress feature on Mac can reduce the size of your files, it offers few customization options. In this case, consider using an online tool to compress your PDFs.
For that, FormatPDF’s Compress PDF tool is the best. This is a simple and effective online tool that allows you to reduce the size of your files without losing quality. Since it's a cloud-based tool, you don't need to download or install any third-party software on your Mac device.
Here's how you can use it to compress your files:
- Go to https://www.formatpdf.com/en/compress-pdf/
- Tap the "Select PDF file" option and upload the file you need to compress.
- A new page with three options will pop up: "Maximum compression", "Recommended compression", and “Low compression". Choose the one which suits your requirements.
- Click the "Compress PDF" button to shrink the file.
- Save it on your device by clicking "Download PDF".
Using a third-party app to compress your files can give you more control over the compression process, allowing you to tailor the settings to your needs. Also, third-party apps can offer more advanced features, such as batch compression and compressing password-protected files.
Firstly, to install Adobe Acrobat on your Mac, head to the Adobe website and download it. Once installed, open up the program and follow these simple steps:
- Open the file you want to compress in Adobe Acrobat.
- Click on the "File" menu in the top-left corner of the screen.
- Select "Save As Other" from the drop-down menu.
- Choose "Reduced Size PDF" from the list of options.
- Select the version of Acrobat compatibility you require.
- Click on "OK."
- Choose a location to save the compressed PDF and give it a new name.
- Click on "Save".
Voila! You now have a compressed file that takes up less space on your Mac, without sacrificing the quality of the document.