PDFs are undoubtedly one of the best formats for storing and sharing documents. That's why it became one of the most used file formats for official use. It's not uncommon to password-protect a document to keep the information within it secure or prevent unauthorized changes. However, as circumstances change, it's understandable that you may wish to break a PDF’s password from your document.
We have all been there - you need to open a vital document only to realize you need to remember the password. It's a frustrating situation that's more common than you might think. Whether you have lost your password or need to access an old, locked document, we have you covered. There are tools that will help you to read, print, and unlock the PDF - all depending on the permissions that are activated.
In this article, we will show you different tools you can use to remove PDF passwords, starting with an excellent online tool and its steps. Moreover, we will also provide you with some essential tips you need to consider while carrying out the task. Let's go!
Índice de Contenidos
How To Break A PDF’s Password
As promised, in this section, we will discuss the best online tool - "Unlock PDF," that can help you break your PDF’s password. It's good because you can complete the task without downloading or installing any program on your device. Moreover, the procedure is fast, straightforward, and totally safe to use. What more can you ask for? Follow the steps we discuss, and you are ready to roll!
Here's how to break PDF passwords through an online tool:
- Go to https://www.formatpdf.com/en/unlock-pdf/
- Click the "Select PDF File" button that you will find at the top of the page and choose the locked file that needs to be opened. Or you can directly move the file to the "Or Drag And Drop The PDF Here" box.
- Your file will automatically get uploaded, and a new page will open up with an "Unlock" option at the right side of your screen.
- Click the "Unlock" button to start the password removal process. Wait for it to complete; remember, depending on your file size, it may take a few seconds to a minute.
- Tap the "Download" option to save the PDF on your device.
What You Need To Know About Breaking A PDF’s Password
Now that you know how to use an online tool to remove PDF passwords, it's time to learn some essential things to remember while carrying out the task. That way, you can break PDF passwords in the best possible way:
- It's always better to get permission from the owner or author of the file before breaking its password. Remember that these files have been locked for some reason, and unlocking them may be a crime.
- Even if you have the owner's permission to remove the password from their PDF, only share it with someone else after first asking the file owner.
- After breaking the PDF password, it's an excellent idea to re-protect it with a password. That way, the file's content (which is confidential and vital) will remain safe and protected.
- There are various online tools that allow you to carry out multiple tasks after breaking a password. So, you can use one of these once you have unlocked your file.
Read More: How To Split A Password-Protected PDF
Which Programs Allow You To Break A PDF’s Password
Apart from online tools, some other apps or programs allow you to break file passwords. However, we still recommend using an online tool since it's easy to use and works entirely on the web. But, even so, we want you to know about other programs so you can decide which one you want to use to break the PDF’s password.
Break A PDF’s Password From A PC
Firstly, let's focus on how to break passwords from a file on a computer with operating systems such as Windows, Mac, and Linux. Remember, these recommendations are based on our experience and the methods we find best, depending on various aspects like ease of use, functionalities, and more. It would be best if you gave each way a try to decide which one to go for finally.
Windows 10 And Prior Versions Of Windows
If you use a Windows (10 or prior versions) PC, the best way to break a PDF password is to use Google Chrome. First, drag the protected file on the browser tab and click the "Print" button. You will see the "Save" option there. Once your file is saved on your Windows PC, you will find the PDF unlocked. You see, that's easy.
On Mac, there's an in-built app called "Preview," which can help you to break passwords from your file. However, you must know the password for this method to succeed. Just open your encrypted file on the "Preview" app. Once you have opened it, remove the password by going to "File," then "Export," and deselect the "Encrypt" option.
Linux OS, the third most used operating system, makes it essential to talk about ways to break file passwords. Apart from using an online tool, you can use tools such as pdftk to carry out your task. However, remember you must deal with commands if you want to use this method. So, it's better to go with an online tool.
Break A PDF’s Password From A Smartphone Or Tablet
In case you want to use mobile devices with operating systems Android or iOS, it's possible to break the password from your file. You must find an appropriate app and install it on your smartphone or tablet.
You can search for downloadable tools to help unlock a protected file on Android's official store, Google Play Store. Just search for "Unlock PDF," and you will find tons of apps there. Choose one with good ratings and install it on your smartphone or tablet.
iPhone (iOS) Or iPad
You can also find an official app store on your iPad and iPhone, just like on Android. The name, in this case, is Apple App Store. Here you must follow the exact instructions as on an Android device. However, the only difference is that you will see different apps in the Apple App Store.