Nowadays, using PDF files is a part of our daily life, whether for work, school, or research. It's interesting to learn how to add notes to your PDF documents with comments and highlights that are significant to us or that may be changed for any reason. You'll need a particular editor that lets you insert comments into PDFs in order to do this. Ahead of doing so, be sure to first edit your PDF in the ways you need to.
The most common method of adding notes to a PDF file is indeed to convert the file into an editable Word file. However, when you convert a file, it may lose its original configuration or be encrypted, which is particularly annoying.
In this article, you will discover how to quickly and easily create or add notes to a PDF and place them anywhere you need them. By some basic instructions, you can insert comments into files on both your computer (Windows, Linux, or Mac) and other devices (like Android or iOS).
Índice de Contenidos
- 1 How To Add Notes To A PDF
- 2 What You Need To Know About Adding Notes To A PDF
- 3 Which Programs Allow You To Add Notes To A PDF
- 3.1 Add Notes To A PDF From A PC
- 3.2 Add Notes From Your Smartphone Or Tablet
- 3.3 FAQs About How To Add Notes To A PDF
- 3.4 What is FormatPDF's Edit PDF tool, and how can it help me add notes to a PDF document?
- 3.5 How do I use FormatPDF's Edit PDF tool to add notes to a PDF?
- 3.6 Will using FormatPDF's Edit PDF tool affect the original content or formatting of the PDF?
How To Add Notes To A PDF
If you want to add notes to PDF files, you'll have to use a third-party tool. The most popular in use right now is Adobe Acrobat. Although most of its functions are only available with a paid subscription, the tool is included in the Adobe software suite and offers a free trial version.
It's simple to insert comments into files using this function, which also works with Adobe Reader:
- Open the PDF file in Adobe Acrobat.
- Select "Selection" from the toolbar.
- Choose a section of the file's text using that tool.
- There will be a number of rapid actions to carry out on the selection itself. Click on the "Add Note" icon.
There are other ways to insert remarks or comments into your files. You need to follow the following actions to get the same result:
- Launch Adobe Acrobat and open the file.
- Navigate to "Comment" under the "Tools" menu.
- All of the commenting tools will be displayed in a separate menu.
- Select any option from the new menu bar, including the "Add note" icon.
After adding notes to your files, if you want, you can rearrange the pages of your file. For that, you'll need to use "Organize PDF".
What You Need To Know About Adding Notes To A PDF
There are various aspects to keep in mind while inserting notes into a PDF file. These will help you to carry out the task smoothly.
When you do this task, you should be aware of the following information:
- Not all files support PDF note-taking. There will be some that are blocked. If that's the case, you should use an online program to remove the file's protection before converting the PDF to another file format or copying its content to another file.
- Always use the most recent version of Adobe Acrobat. That's because tools for adding notes to PDFs frequently experience revisions, making it impossible for you to utilize them properly.
Check This: How To Delete Text On PDF
- If you are unable to insert notes or comments by selecting a text block, go to the "Tools" and "Comments" menus and do so from there. Sometimes with Adobe Acrobat, the shortcuts are blocked, or the text is difficult to choose.
- Of course, you can add audio notes if you want—select "Comments" from the "Tools" menu. When the new bar appears, click on the sound icon, which looks like a speaker with a small note drawn on it. The sound recorder will start. Save the desired voice notes.
Which Programs Allow You To Add Notes To A PDF
Adobe Acrobat will typically work just well for you to accomplish this. However, you will have one or more tools to insert comments into a PDF depending on the type of computer (Mac, Linux, and Windows) or mobile device (Android or iOS) you have. We'll discuss them so that you can find the most straightforward method for you to add notes.
Add Notes To A PDF From A PC
You can add comments to PDF files, no matter if you use Windows, Mac, or Linux. Since PDFs are currently the most used file type for sending documents, you have options regardless of your operating system. Therefore, let's look at some of the easiest ways to carry out this task on computer operating systems.
Windows 10 And Prior Versions Of Windows
If you have a Windows computer (10 or other prior versions) and want to add notes to your PDF file, Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader is for you. However, if these were not previously installed on your computer, you would need to search for an older version that's compatible with your device. You can find the downloadable URLs for them on Adobe's website.
The Mac version of Adobe Reader or Acrobat is also usable. So, if you want to add comments to your files on Mac, you can use Adobe Reader or Acrobat. However, you need to locate an earlier version that can be installed on your device to insert PDF notes, if the most recent version is incompatible with your computer.
For Linux, you can also use Adobe Acrobat to add notes to your files. However, the procedures to install the tool on Linux is more complex than that on other operating systems. Don't worry; the steps are available on the Adobe website, in the Adobe Help Center area, along with the corresponding versions.
Add Notes From Your Smartphone Or Tablet
Mobile devices are occasionally used to receive PDF files. So, you'll need the correct application to carry out the task of adding notes to files. Let's see how you can easily do this task on your smartphone or tablet.
In Android, you can use Adobe Acrobat to insert notes into any PDF file. You may download this from the Google Play Store, which enables you to edit and generate PDFs as well as add comments to existing ones. In recognition of the significance of these files in the modern world, some mobile devices already have them installed.
iPhone (iOS) Or iPad
Just like Android phones or tablets, you can also add comments to your files using Adobe Acrobat. If the software isn't already installed on your device, you have to install it. You can do so by visiting the Apple App Store and downloading it. However, you can even find other applications to carry out this task for free.
Read More: How To Edit A Locked PDF
FAQs About How To Add Notes To A PDF
What is FormatPDF's Edit PDF tool, and how can it help me add notes to a PDF document?
How do I use FormatPDF's Edit PDF tool to add notes to a PDF?
- Go to https://www.formatpdf.com/en/edit-pdf/
- Upload the PDF file to which you want to add notes.
- Use the tool's annotation tools, such as text boxes or sticky notes, to mark areas where you want to add notes.
- Enter your notes or comments in the annotation boxes.
- Adjust the formatting, size, and position of the notes as needed.
- Review the document to ensure the notes are accurately placed.
- Save the edited PDF, and you might receive a link to download the annotated version.